Regional cooperation for climate neutral, digitally advantaged and more competitive Europe
Record of the discussion
Main focus of the session:
National achievements and regional cooperation aimed at climate neutral, digital and competitive economy. Focus on business realities, plans and visions in the following fields: energy market; offshore wind and solar; energy efficiency, smart distribution networks; conversion of fossil fuel-based power plants into renewable energy sources; application of advanced technology solutions and digitized energy solutions; sustainable transport and logistics; circular economy; reduction of greenhouse gas emissions; R&D and innovation collaboration.
- Importance of making the Green Deal a real success story for climate, citizens, businesses and economies.
- Necessity of a forward-looking smart industrial and competitiveness strategy that would help turning the Green Deal into a real growth driver.
- Availability of massive public investments that must be used to speed-up the post-pandemic recovery and to ensure smooth and economically effective transition to climate neutrality.
- Importance of efforts on all levels – local, regional, national, EU and international – to encourage transformation and to use full potential of the digital solutions.
- Baltic region already boasts success in energy cooperation, e.g. Baltic energy market interconnection plan (BEMIP) and The Baltic sea offshore Wind Joint Declaration of Intent. Consideration of using the gas infrastructure for hydrogen transportation in the future.
Moderator: Mr. Tomas Vasilevskis, Director of Lithuanian Business Representation to the EU
- Vidmantas Janulevičius, President of BOD Group, President of the Lithuanian Confederation of Industrialists (LPK)
- Fredrik Persson, Chairman JM AB, President of the Swedish Enterprise (SN)
- Maciej Witucki, Chairman Orange Polska, President of Polish Confederation Lewiatan
- Hando Sutter, Chairman of the Management Board and CEO Eesti Energia
- Inese Stepina, Deputy Director General, Adviser on EU and International Affairs Employers’ Confederation of Latvia (LDDK)